Search This Blog

Friday, June 02, 2006

THE ANT WHISPERER

Today I sat on a bench in the courtyard smoking a cigarette and upon examining the pavement under my feet saw a curious sight. An ant barely the size of a pin-head dragging what looked to be a small fragment of potato chip at least TEN TIMES its size and weight.

I followed its progress with no small amount of fascination as it moved the behemoth one inch, then two, then nearly three before seemingly giving up and moving some distance away from it.

"DON'T QUIT NOW, YOU PUSS!" I exclaimed-- much to the bemusement of some passersby!

Sure enough, the ant revisited the morsel, circling it a few times as if to size it up, and then returned to the slavish task of transporting it.

It felt good to know I had shamed the ant into fulfilling its obligation to the collective back at the ant hill.

I felt a little bit like Stalin.

And it was strangely satisfying.

No comments: