Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2008

THE FOLLOWING THINGS ARE TRUE

(From August 25, 2007)

1) I am drunk, but only just a little.

2) I have exactly as much chest hair as I want. No more, no less.

3) The best thing about playing music is the people you meet along the way. I got to see the kids in LADYFINGER and THE RED-EYED LEGENDS tonight and was very much reminded of this.

4) I like the new DOCTOR WHO and I don't care who knows it.

5) I have a truly astounding number of friends who I don't ever call. I just don't call people. I'm probably more fond of you than you've ever imagined.

6) I have-- or had --spiders in the cab of my pick-up truck. Apparently they can crawl in through the vents. I think they're all gone. I hope so, because if a spider falls down the back of my shirt while I'm driving there will be an accident. A serious accident.

7) Some people receive compliments all the time. I don't. But I have gotten two very odd ones in the last three days. I left my building through the back door on Wednesday night because I had to throw out some trash. There was a gaunt, shirtless white guy smoking a cigarette and carrying a rake passing through the alley who remarked, "Hey man, you look good. I'm serious for real, man. You do."

Then this afternoon a woman who works in at The Children's Theatre Company (adjacent to the museum) said, "Hey, you're a "toe-walker."

"What?" I answered.

"You walk on your toes. Very bouncy. It's nice."

(I could have done without both of those alleged compliments.)

8) I have an early 1970's SANSUI receiver, and fuck if it doesn't sound good.

9) FALCON CREST made my ears ring tonight. They're ringing still. Well done, boys.

10) I can't wait to play baseball tomorrow.

11) I have been wrangled into playing (cough, sputter) softball on Thursday nights. I am horribly ashamed of it. All the guys on the team are real great people. How could I say no? But softball is so very wrong.

12) I really like ARCHERS OF LOAF.

13) Thirteen is a "Baker's Dozen."

I don't know why that is. So my father's real father died when he was pretty young. His step-dad owned a bakery in Hershey, PA. He told me once that he had to get up at 4:00 in the morning to work there before he went off to school. I guess no matter what, the family were never allowed to eat fresh baked goods. They always had to wait until things were about to be thrown-out to have them. So he would wake-up early to make doughnuts and the like but he was never allowed to enjoy a "fresh" one. Not once. Not ever. Fucking people. Fucking Germans.


14) I am criminally sentimental. And it will be my undoing.

Good night

No comments: